Wednesday, November 1, 2017

IWSG: Making A Difference...

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a community of writers who share ideas and encourage other writers. It's a great place to express doubts and concerns as well as offer and receive tribulations and guidance from other writers. IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month. I think you'll find it to be a great writer's resource that's well worth your time. Be sure to stop by and visit with some of the other IWSG writers/bloggers at IWSG Members.

Join me in thanking this month's awesome co-hosts: Tonja Drecker, Diane Burton,  MJ Fifield, and Rebecca Douglass!


It's November 1st!!  What an incredibly short year 2017 has been.  Surely, the powers that be shaved some days off each month . . . it's the only explanation for it being only three weeks until Thanksgiving.

As the holidays and end of year rapidly approach, my mind turns to projects - ones completed, most with a sense of satisfaction, and ones uncompleted, leaving me with a growing sense of frustration and urgency over unreached 2017 writing goals.  Not long ago, a shadow of gloom and doom descended, and I threw myself a little self-indulgent "pity party"!  I allowed negativity to taunt me, filling my head with self-defeating thoughts like: "You may as well give up . . .
You aren't good enough, smart enough . . . you'll never finish, why bother trying?  I can honestly say if it wasn't for the timely, encouraging words from a fellow writer, mentor, friend, and respected author, I might have allowed the negativity to win.  Instead, the fact that one person, one author, took time out of her busy life to share encouraging words, including personal writing experiences, reignited my belief in myself and my writing ability.  It was the boost, and the kick in the butt, that I needed at that moment in time, and I'm happy to say it helped me bring my pity party to an end.  I rose to the challenge and started scheduling, writing, and checking projects off my list once again.  Some meet my expectations, some don't.  Some show promise, some don't.  Some are filed away in that file we all have for projects that don't meet expectations - where they deserve to be.  Either way, one person made a difference and reignited a spark.  (Thank you, Nancy!)

Never, ever underestimate the value of a kind, encouraging word to a fellow writer.  Yours may be the voice that makes the difference to one writer struggling to find their place and way in this writer's world we all share.  It costs nothing but a little time, and while that's precious to us all, the rewards are tenfold to both the giver and recipient of the advice and encouraging words. 

If you're struggling, seek out fellow writers and support groups like the Insecure Writer's Support Group.  You'll find a beautiful mix of both beginning and seasoned writers willing to share and accept advice - a place for receiving and lending a helping hand.  Hopefully, it'll make a difference in your life as it has mine.

Question of the month:  Win or lose, do you usually finish your NaNo project?  Have any of them gone on to be published?

I've never participated in NaNo.  I'm a firm believer in never saying never, but I don't think it's for me.  However, I greatly admire those who are brave enough to jump in and go for it.  Congratulations to all participants - you're all winners.

10 comments:

Diane Burton said...

You are so right about one person's words giving you that boost to keep going. My friend Nancy (wouldn't it be ironic if it's the same Nancy) gave me the kick in the pants I needed when I wanted to give up. So here's a hug, a pat on the back, and a kick in the pants. Hang in there. Keep going.

Sandra Hoover said...

I'm guessing it's the same Nancy, Diane. She's awesome, isn't she? Thanks for the encouraging words, Diane. They really do make a difference!

Sally Bend said...

Agreed. Having somebody to talk to makes all the difference. I had a write friend try to talk me out of a key aspect of my long-gestating PNR novel. I disagreed, but the conversation alone allowed me to work through some issues with the book, and I came out of it with a clear vision/plan.

Support and encouragement are huge as well, of course, but sometimes just talking is all we need.

Sandra Hoover said...

True, Sally. Someone to brainstorm with or bounce ideas off of is also valuable. Glad it worked for you!

Nancy Gideon said...

Go, Sandra! Go Sandra!

Sandra Hoover said...

Thanks, Nancy! You're an inspiration, role model, and cheerleader all rolled into one! Many thanks for the encouraging words.

Caitlin Coppola said...

I really enjoyed this post! What you're saying is very true, that one kind word from a writer (or anyone) can have a HUGE impact. Glad you kept to it!

Sandra Hoover said...

Thanks, Caitlin! You're so right...a kind word from anyone makes a huge difference.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You said it! That's the whole purpose behind the IWSG - we don't know how much our words of encouragement will mean to someone. Awesome Nancy stepped in and brought you back up.

Sandra Hoover said...

IWSG and other support writing groups are so important to all writers. Who doesn't need an encouraging word now & then? Thanks for stopping by, Alex.