Wednesday, September 7, 2016

IWSG: No Need To Worry . . .

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a community of writers who share ideas and encourage other writers.  It's a great place to express doubts and concerns as well as offer and receive tribulations and guidance from other writers. IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month.  I think you'll find it to be a great writer's resource that's well worth your time.  Be sure to stop by and visit with some of the other IWSG writers/bloggers at IWSG Members.



ISWG September Co-Hosts:   
C. Lee McKenzie
Rachel Pattison
 Elizabeth Seckman
 Stephanie Faris
 Lori L MacLaughlin
Elsie Amata!


It's been a long, hot summer.  The heat and humidity are still relentless, bearing down day after day after day.  It's beginning to feel like it will never end, yet here it is September 7 with Fall peeking around the corner.  With the coming of another change in seasons, I find myself reflecting on the year - thinking about things that did or didn't happen and things I did or didn't accomplish.  It's easy to slip into a pattern of worrying about things I can't change, so I have to remind myself to celebrate the positive. 

My Mama used to say, "There's no sense in worrying about things you can't change.  It won't fix it."  She was right, of course.  While I haven't seen the progress I would have liked on my w-i-p, I'm continuing to work on it and I'm happy to say it's coming together.  And, I have written an impressive number of reviews, articles, newsletters, and blog posts.  I am writing.  And writing is writing, right?   

So this month, I'm celebrating my accomplishments and letting go of everything else.  August was a great writing month for me, so here's to August.  It was unbearably hot outside, but I cranked up the a/c in my office and smoked my computer keys.  I'm back on track and sprinting toward the year-end finish line.

IWSG Question of the Month:  How do you find the time to write in your busy day?  
There are way too many days that I don't . . . that's the sad truth of it.  But I have come to accept it's all about priorities. Do I go out with friends tonight, or do I write?  Do I go to bed at a reasonable hour, or do I write?  We live life at a hectic pace nowadays, but our choices are still somewhat our own.  I have found that writing in the evenings after everyone else goes to bed works best for me.  The house is quiet, my work for the day is done, and I can finally turn my creativity lose to run amok.  Hopefully, I capture some of it on paper.









5 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Sometimes the choices we make (like not to write but go out with friends) is the right choice at the moment. Writing can't consume us to the exclusion of having a life. But don't let it give you excuses either. It's all a matter of balance.

Sandra Hoover said...

So true, Diane. I think I'm getting better at separating "excuses" from "choices", and at this point in my life, writing is high on my priority list. I find I "make time" for the things I want to do most - and for me that's writing. Thanks for stopping by! I enjoyed your post today. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You have a great attitude.
And you're smart to stay inside with the air conditioning.

Sandra Hoover said...

Thanks, Alex. Gotta love that a/c - especially here in the South! lol

Nancy Gideon said...

Here's to setting those keys on FIRE!