Monday, May 30, 2016

IWSG: June 1, 2016 ~ What do you do with lemons?

The Insecure Writer's Support Group is a community of writers who share ideas and encourage other writers.  It's a great place to express doubts and concerns as well as offer and receive tribulations and guidance from other writers. IWSG posts the first Wednesday of every month.  I think you'll find it to be a great writer's resource that's well worth your time.  Be sure to stop by and visit with some of the other IWSG writers/bloggers at IWSG Members.

The awesome co-hosts for the June 1 posting of the IWSG will be Murees Dupe, Alexia Chamberlynn, Chemist Ken, and Heather Gardner!

What do you do with lemons?
Sometimes, life sucks.  There - I said it.  It's sad, but true.  It can sneak up on you, smack you up side the head, and leave you spinning your wheels.  Without boring you with all the details, I'll say that as you read this on June 1, my husband will be one day out of a life altering surgery for a disease that has debilitated him for months, drastically changing our lives.  I like to think I'm an optimist, but not gonna lie - this has been a tough row to hoe.  Most days, I feel like a hamster who can't get the wheel to slow down enough to get off . . . just not enough time to do it all.  And, of course, it's my writing that's suffered most as its gotten shuffled to the back burner.

Still, every time I feel like throwing in the towel, I can hear the words of my dear, precious mother saying, "Girl . . . what do we do with lemons in the South?"  And the answer was/is: "Make Lemon Meringue Pie!"  Oh yum! There was nothing else in this world as good as my mother's Lemon Meringue Pie with a mile-high meringue topping.  It put a smile on my face and chased away the blues every single time she served it.  I miss both her and her fabulous cooking every single day of my life.


So - With my mother's words still echoing in my brain - My Self-Pity Party is over.  This is me taking my "lemons" and making "pie".  My writing has suffered drastically this year, BUT I can see a brighter light shining at the end of the tunnel.  With a successful surgery, my husband should be able to fully recover, and we can get back to a more normal routine which includes my protected writing time.  My w-i-p planned completion date may be off by several months, but it will happen sooner or later.  Right after I turn these lemons into a Lemon Meringue Pie! :)

How's your year going - both personally & professionally?  Are you on-schedule with your w-i-p?  Or do you have some catching up to do like me?

*Posted early due to personal commitments & a "Schedule" Link that never works! :)


  

4 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Learning to roll with what life throws at you and to juice those lemons is writer rule #1. Hang in there, Sandra. That pie is your reward. The words will always be there . . . better late than never. Will be thinking of you and hubby!!

Diane Burton said...

Sometimes you just have to put the writing aside. Not easy. Hope your husband is recovering well from his surgery. You have friends who hope for only the best. BTW, I'll be over for a slice of that pie. :-)

Sandra Hoover said...

Thanks, Nancy! I know you know all about those little surprises life can throw at you. Like you, I'm rolling with the punches. You are my inspiration!

Sandra Hoover said...

Nothing like the prayers of friends to carry you through . . . and I'd love to have you over for pie, Diane! Thanks for the good wishes!