Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Siren Book Review



Title:  The Siren
Series:  Original Sinners:  The Red Years #1
Author:  Tiffany Reisz
Published:  July 24, 2012 by Mira

My Rating:  4.5 Mind-Blowing 's









 SYNOPSIS

Notorious Nora Sutherlin is famous for her delicious works of erotica, each one more popular with readers than the last. But her latest manuscript is different—more serious, more personal—and she's sure it'll be her breakout book...if it ever sees the light of day.

Zachary Easton holds Nora's fate in his well-manicured hands. The demanding British editor agrees to handle the book on one condition: he wants complete control. Nora must rewrite the entire novel to his exacting standards—in six weeks—or it's no deal.

Nora's grueling writing sessions with Zach are draining…and shockingly arousing. And a dangerous former lover has her wondering which is more torturous—staying away from him...or returning to his bed?

Nora thought she knew everything about being pushed to your limits. But in a world where passion is pain, nothing is ever that simple.


My Review 

Let me start by saying I finished reading The Siren a few days ago and still can't get it out of my mind.  It is an extremely complex novel exploring some very dark, harsh, and generally considered taboo subjects including BDSM, pain & passion, and borderline rape.  Readers Beware:  This is not your typical HEA romance novel.  In fact, romance has little to nothing to do with this story nor does it have a typical one hero/one heroine character plotline.  This is one of those books that defies description and refuses to be put in a neat little box.  It's a story that is at times very hard to read and yet, at other times, is very touching with very sweet, amusing, heart touching moments.

Eleanor (Nora) Sutherlin serves as our heroine although I use the term loosely.  She is an erotica writer during the day and a merciless Dominatrix at night who has left the man she has a love/hate relationship with...a relationship in which she is the submissive.  Nora is a Switch.  The Siren introduces us to all the many sides of her and to the men who will love and leave her and to whom she is destined to touch, changing their lives irrevocably.  I found Nora to be funny, witty, smart, and yet very fragile and childlike, a gypsy who is searching for her way and place in life.  I also found Nora to be strong, merciless, unforgiving, domineering, a masochist - both physically and mentally.  She loves to receive as well as give pain.  She needs it like she needs air to breathe.

Zach is a British editor living in New York after leaving his wife in London.  He loves and needs his wife but is guilt ridden and doesn't feel deserving of her so he refuses to reach out to her.  He is stuffy, inhibited, troubled and yet sexy.  Zac and Nora meet when he agrees to edit her book.  This begins a relationship filled with banter and sexual tension with Nora being the aggressor.  She is brazen, relentless, and determined to break open Zach's shell and help release his guilt and passion.

Wes is an innocent, 19 year old virgin college student living with Nora.  He is in love with her but refuses her sexual advances preferring to save himself for someone that can love and care for him.  Nora is dependent on Wes and will do anything to keep him with her - anything, even agreeing to never go back to the man she loves, but left 4 years prior - her Dom, Soren.

Soren is a dark, scary, complex man with shocking secrets including the fact he is a Dominant who loves Nora and is waiting for her to return to him.  He is sadistic, hard, strong, and gets off on giving severe, harsh pain.  Soren met Nora when she was a young, innocent girl and he waited until she turned twenty to take her virginity and introduce her to his version of heaven...or hell.

The Siren is indeed a dark, shocking novel that haunts me still, days after I turned the last page.  It made me uncomfortable and even angry, it made me cry and hurt, it made me wonder WTH?, but it also made me laugh and think and wonder why.  It also touched my heart and left me wanting more.  The sequel, The Angel, continues the story and is definitely on my TBR soon list.  The Siren is:  Not for the faint of heart, Not an easy story to read, Not a romance with the typical HEA, but it is A Must Read for anyone looking for a complex, well written, haunting story that you will remember always.


Rating:  4.5 Beautiful  ♥♥♥♥'s...And that's the truth!


Cross My Heart...xxx,


Sandra 


Fav Quote: 


"Eleanor, there are suicide bombers on the Gaza Strip who are less dangerous than you are."


 

2 comments:

Jewels E said...

This sounds like it will push my comfort zones, but I promised myself I'd do that every now and then! Thanks for the review Sandra.

Sandra Hoover said...

It will, Giulia. It pushed mine but I still think it is a Must Read book. And I want to read the whole series. I was very close to giving it 5 hearts. I should give it 4.5.